Thursday, May 28, 2009

How to get drunk in Toronto and still be able to appreciate the finer things in life.

The other day I got an invite to Andrew Buckler's (Buckler Clothing Line) Summer Launch Party. That same day I found out about Preloved's 14th Birthday Party being held on the same evening. However could I attend both!? I found out I had to work until 9 and was dismayed when I believed I was going to miss at least one or perhaps both parties and be unable to tell you all about it.

Thankfully I worked hard and finished my pre-closing duties early and was allowed to leave early from work! Woots! So I rush on down Queen St. West and to my surprise I had gotten to Buckler just as the party was picking up.

At first impression Buckler's Toronto boutique is fantastic. The overall design of the store is an elegant but technological monochrome array of great lighting installations, mirrors, and playboy magazines scattered in and around the clothing racks. I know right? As I began to look closer at the clothing of their summer lineup I was very impressed by the overall collaboration of form and function. The dress shirts presented were adaptable from the business dress long sleeve, that could be removed to create a more summer fun short sleeve shirt. Buckler's line of suits were equally impressive. Ranging from a small pinstripe to an almost rubberized party blazer. One feature I appreciated were the two added strips of dark felt on their pinstripes suit across the waistline and again on the back of the shoulder. Finally I came across what Bram, Buckler Toronto's manager, called Engineer Boots. A mens full calf boot that had the elegance of an english riding boot but the ass kickery of any Hell's Angel. Bram said that although most men are uneasy about exposing the full boot and usually put pant leg's over them, some are actually wearing them with their pants tucked into the boot, a very attractive idea that I have been wanting to see in men's fashion for awhile. After three beers and a conversation with Toby owner of soon to be opened gallery bar The Starving Artist, I felt it was time to leave.

So, forgetting about Preloved I kept walking west down Queen St. to my bus stop when I happened upon Preloved and thought " Shit, might as well drop by and see what's up!" And so I did. Preloved is an absolutely wonderful store, oriented with the everyday fashion forward urban woman (and sometimes man) in min. The store itself is beautiful with exposed brick and concrete with a touch of teak on the changeroom doors and overhanging light fixtures. At first glance it is exactly what a Torontonian woman could ask for in a store, warm and inviting with a touch of modern glamour. The clothing at Preloved (excuse my french) BLEW MY FUCKING MIND! For awhile now I have heard of Preloved but never made it in (thinking that it was a woman's store, which it is, mostly.) but am happy I know of it now. Preloved's goal is to take classic vintage clothing, deconstruct them and use the fabrics with other vintage pieces to create a new modern look using classic and modern cuts and designs. Immediatley I found pieces that I would want my girlfriend to wear and even some that I thought my mom would love! It is the exquisite blend of vintage and modern fashion thrown into one, and each article of clothing, although similar in cut and form, is individual in unique in the fabrics being used. So again, after a few beers and some conversations with the store employees I thought it was time to leave.

I continued my walk to my bus stop when I stumbled upon Media Contemporary Gallery and their exhibit opening of artists Melanie Lowe and Kate McQuillen. Both holding their MFA from York University's Visual Arts program, these two ladies have created some beautiful installation pieces in the gallery.

Melanie visualized the everyday experiences we have in a beautiful use of water in all its forms, be it ice, liquid, or a mist. She informs her audiences that through our social connections we leave traces of ourselves on other people, and that our own emotional memories and problems are similar to a glass of water we carry around each day. I look forward to connecting with Melanie in the future and hope to do a piece about her and her work soon.

Kate's work revolved around the technological aspects of our everyday life. From the satellite dishes that feed our cellphones, to the rockets that put those satellites in orbit. Her brilliant use of paper and wood brought a very natural and organic quality to something completely fabricated by human hands and minds. I unfortuantely did not get to speak with Kate but like Melanie I hope to connect with her soon and bring you some more info and a more in depth look into her work and life.

Like all my visits that evening, I was fortunate enough to recieve some more free beer and then decided I was too exhausted to continue thinking and communicating with artists and designers and that it was time for me to ACTUALLY head home.

So my tally for the night:

Steamwhistle Pilsners drank: 6
Moosehead Lagers drank: 3
Business Cards recieved: 4
Dollars spent on the entire evening: 0

So I guess my whole point is that you guys can go out, have a great time, drink some booze and not even spend a dime if you just take the effort into finding interesting events and places to expand your mind, your capacity for alcohol, and your art and design intake. The next time you are bored on a thursday night, just cruise around the city and don't be afraid to go into a place that you don't know whats going on. I guarantee you the people there will want to share with you and hear your thoughts!

Good hunting!

LINKS: -check these people out-

www.preloved.ca
www.andrewbuckler.com
www.mediancontemporary.com
www.visualbass.com
www.katemcquillen.com

No comments:

Post a Comment