Saturday, May 16, 2009

To Kill a Hipster

So the other night, I was walking past The Social with a group of friends, and some guy in the line points at me and shouts "Hipster Faggot!".

Woah, woah, woah, woah! First of all I pose this question to the good man in the line. Since when did you have a better idea of my sexuality then my own self? Last time I checked I was pretty darn straight. Yet, because you lack the creativity or maybe the courage to be your own person, you lash out at anyone who is different. Do I publically insult you for your choice of date-rape central club? Or your wonderful Tommy Hilfiger Polo bought at the Bay on Boxing day? I could, and I'd mostly be right, but I don't because I still believe in the idea of live and let live.

Co-exsistance is something Canadians have to deal with everyday. We walk around claiming we are so multi-cultural, but really, most people in Canada just TOLERATE the other races and ethnicities around them. We smile at the idea that maybe we are more accepting than our neighbours to the south, yet any person who reads Craigslist Rants and Misconnections, will find that there are a lot of hateful, racist and arrogant people in this country.

Which leads me to my next rant.
Due to this strange disease that "hipsters" in New York have, apparently it is expected and believed that a "hipster" is this overly obnoxious, insensitive to those who are not "in the know", and generally more into their hair, shoes and vintage plaid shirt, than coke in Amy Winehouse's nose.

I therefore send this plea out to those who identify with the "hipster" diaspora. Fashion, individuality, music, culture, art, and partying are excellent things to be into! They really are! But if someone doesn't get why you like what you like, or care about what you care about, there is no need to hate. Each and every person on this planet was built to be them, and them only. You can't change that or ever expect someone to change. Perhaps sharing your interests and introducing them to new things is a better way for them to understand what you like then the "oh its really underground you probably haven't heard of it."

I love you guys though.

Keep it real
-B

2 comments:

  1. wait. someone outside the SOCIAL called you a hipster? gag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^

    My thoughts exactly.

    ReplyDelete